I would say that the purpose of doing a lab in school is to be able to apply the scientific methods we learn and be able to see it being put to work in person. It also teaches one to be able to write a report based on the results of the lab to explain what the lab entailed, what the importance of the testing was, and what errors occurred to perhaps deviate the results. I think the fact that there is a set experiment with a set result is helpful in the learning process because it gives a student some guidance while doing the test with a clear end result that they are eager to reach. Moreover, I think labs are also quite important even if it isn’t really a non-specialist course like ours. Although it isn’t the center of the course, it is still crucial to be able to learn this vital skill that is part of the scientific world. I want to be able to properly follow directions and see the problems that could possibly arise during an experiment then finally understand how to solve such a problem on the spot. A “lab” in a non-science course like History would be about discussing events that occurred in history and explaining what was wrong about the course of action a person took in the situation and how they could have done it better. Then through a social experiment, they would follow through with it and see how people respond differently to that technique. Lastly, you cannot use standard English for a lab report because there are many terms that have different meanings in the scientific world that coincide with the jargon and so if a scientist were to read the lab report, they may get confused by the test if the wrong terms are used.