When I first learned about the three science senses  that were repeatedly mentioned in the course, I was not really thrilled to use it. Eventually, I realized these senses are simply angles of looking at events in our lives. When dealing with numbers, we use our number sense. When describing observations, we can use data sense. When we try to form conclusions or speculations, we can use knowledge sense. All these perspectives help us build a framework around our course as we learn that science is closely tied to our lives.

We learned this message again when we worked on the health innovation. As we tried to come up with innovations or alternate uses of existing products, we tried to address issues affecting people or our families. What was interesting in this project that took a few months was that we made use of 3D printing. I personally love using 3D printing. The project taught us how to use Tinkercad–something we can add on our resume–and taught us to not give up when our ideas are turned down. It also taught us to consider designs in a scientific perspective; it needs to be plausible and helpful. When attending the STEAM festival, I thought about how I panicked during the beginning of the semester and how surprised I was when I was there. I actually made it with a working, approved design.

Although I enjoyed the course overall, I did not really find the Bioblitz very consistent with the flow of the course. It appears to just be an assignment forced in by Macaulay (this may be true). Then again, going out to visit nature is a fun experience, though it could be better incorporated.

Besides all the educational aspects, what I enjoyed most about this class were the aspirin and soap lab, as well as, the “That Chemistry Show.” Because the first lab involved a lab report, I enjoyed the second lab more. I haven’t been in a lab since high school. Following instructions, watching everyone fail to produce pure aspirin, cleaning up the lab utensils, and getting to the 8th floor when it was almost 2:30PM were all events that lead to a calm, enjoyable environment. The Chemistry show was quite fun to watch. However, I was disappointed because not everyone went. Compared to the previous IDC courses, IDC 4001H lacked the group outings that made each visit to places better.

Finally, thank you Dr. Greer and Jake for being lenient, critical, friendly and understanding!