One of the most iconic songs about New York City, “New York, New York” embodies the spirit and glory of the city unlike any other song.  Written by John Kander and Fred Ebb, it was the theme song from Martin Scorsese’s 1977 film of the same name: New York, New York.  Originally written for and performed in the film by Liza Minnelli, the most well-known version of the song was the recording by Frank Sinatra for his album Trilogy: Past Present Future which was released in April of 1980.  Over the years the song has been embraced as a celebration of New York City, recognizing both its toughness and its triumph. Whether played during the New Year’s celebration at Times Square or to close out a game at Yankee stadium, “New York, New York” presents why its namesake is truly the greatest city in the world.

“New York, New York” conveys how New York City is a city of opportunity unlike any other where people can go to pursue success.  The opening lines, “Start spreading the news, I am leaving today, I want to be a part of it, New York, New York”, present how the city pulls people towards it in pursuit of opportunity, just as millions of immigrants have and continue to do today.  The lines “I want to wake up in a city, that doesn’t sleep, and find I’m king of the hill, top of the heap” convey the strive for success and greatness in the vibrant city.  They help to express both the city’s ambitious attitude and winning culture.  In addition, the lines “If I can make it there, I’ll make it anywhere” present the hardship and difficulty of the city.  The song presents that if you can succeed in a tough city like New York, you can succeed anywhere else.  It conveys the mindset of the city, its people, and all those who wish to have the opportunity to share in its wealth, fame and prosperity.