Hi everyone,

I’m very excited to go to the opera with you all in a few weeks! As you know, our tickets are a free part of the Macaulay first year program.

But, if you wanted to see Mozart’s Magic Flute, Puccini’s Turandot, or any of the other operas offered at the Met this year, there are two very inexpensive ways that you can get tickets for them that will often land you in great seats close to the action (that normally cost hundreds of dollars!). One is through student tickets, which are typically $35 each. You need to register in advance as a student with your ID, and it’s free to do so but it takes a few days. So, if you think you even might try to take advantage of this, I recommend registering ASAP so you’re in their system. These tickets are available to purchase in advance and more performances become available as you get closer to the show date.

The other way is via rush tickets. These go on sale the day of the performance at noon (2pm for Saturday performances) and are first come, first served, and cost $25. Unlike the student tickets, anyone can buy these, so you’re not guaranteed that you’ll get the tickets, and you can’t buy them in advance. Personally, I’ve never had a problem getting them! These are especially good if your plans are flexible and you’d be OK if you didn’t end up going. Like the student tickets, you’ll often end up in very nice seats in the orchestra section.

Let me know if you have questions about either of these opportunities.

-Jake