1. Berenice Abbot “Flatiron Building”

This is a picture of the Flatiron building taken by Berenice Abbot in 1934. It amazes me to see a picture of the Flatiron building taken nearly a century ago. It shows us a glimpse of the world the back in that time.  I get to appreciate this photograph even more as I walk past the building every day and I get to appreciate its beauty. The picture also shows us how trolley cars were used and how people and automobiles both dominated the streets. This is one of many of Abbot’s photographs that I admire.

2. Walt Whitman’s ” Crossing Brooklyn Ferry”

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/45470/crossing-brooklyn-ferry

This was a beautiful poem written by Walt Whitman in 1881. The poem is about the trip across Brooklyn to Manhattan on the East River. Whitman uses such vivid detail in his poem that it enables the reader to picture exactly what he is saying. Even when we were at the ferry, I was able to relate some of the exact feelings that Whitman felt as he would cross the ferry. It is amazing how Whitman was able to transcend those same feelings through time as if he knew that those same feelings that he felt would be felt again by people in the future.

3. The Godfather by Francis Ford Capolla

Image result for godfather movie

This is one of the greatest movies of all times. It recounts events in the life of Don Corleone, head of the Corleone mafia family. It was released in 1972 and was followed by two movies thereafter as it was considered one of the best movies of its time and it is still considered one of the best movies to this day. The movie shows the life of a gangster and the power struggles and betrayals that are involved. The plot and dialogue of the movie keeps the audience attentive throughout the movie and interested in finding out what happens. It also helps the audience visualize how the life of the head of a mafia family is like.

4. Jeff Koon’s “Popeye”

Image result for jeff koons popeye wynn

Jeff Koons is one the most famous sculptors of our time. He is part of the neo-pop artistic movement. His sculptors are in famous exhibits around the world. This particular sculpture is called “Popeye” after the famous character and it is currently at the Wynn hotel in Las Vegas. I actually was able to see the sculpture up close and it is amazing how well it is molded. Also, the painting does not come cheap. Steve Wynn bought it for $28 million. The sculpture has an aesthetic quality that makes the audience look at in awe. It truly is a work of art.

5. Berenice Abbot’s “Madison Square Park”

This is a photograph of Madison Square Park that Abbot took in 1938. The photograph depicts city residents strolling around the park. It amazes me how we were able to take photographs at that time. I am also amazed by how good of a quality picture it is especially for that time. I am also surprised by how even during the 1930’s Manhattan had amazing tall buildings. What even makes this picture more special for me is the fact that I cross the park everyday when I come to Baruch.

6. Jacob Riis’ “Lodgers in Bayard Street Tenement, Five Cents a Spot”

The photograph by Riis in 1889 shows the terrible living conditions that people had to live in at the time. It shows a bunch of guys cramped together living in a small room. This reminded me of our trip to the tenement museum where we got to see the living conditions of families in the Lower East Side. This photograph however shows a much worse image than what I could imagine or what I saw in the museum. It was in part of Riis’ efforts and others that we are able to see the injustices and harsh living conditions of people at that time.

7. Paul Strand’s “Wall Street”

This is Paul Strand’s photograph of Wall Street in 1915. The picture gives an almost grandeur feeling with the big columns and the shadows. It seems as if the people are walking towards something greater than themselves. It also represents Wall Street as a powerful force in this picture. The contrast of the large institutional columns and the small people followed by their big shadows gives a contrast that makes this picture oddly special and it gives us a special appreciation for Strand’s work and Wall Street.

8. Wall Street by Oliver Stone

Image result

This movie was released in 1987 and it is considered one of the greatest movies about Wall Street. It explores the topics of greed, insider trading, and morals and ethics. We are able to see a metaphor of greed and ruthlessness through the character of Gordon Gecko that is played by Michael Douglas. We are also able to see a hard working honest young man gone corrupt through the character of Buddy played by Michael Sheen. We are able to see how greed can corrupt people and make them do things they would never imagine to do. It is a classic Wall Street movie that has set the benchmark for other Wall Street- related movies.

9. Barnet Newman’s “Vir Heroicus Sublimis”

Image result for vir heroicus sublimis

This is a painting by Barnett Newman who painted the painting in 1951. It is currently exhibited at the MOMA. At first, when you see the picture you are in shock. All you see is a large red painting that a five year old could have done alongside great works like Starry Night by Van Gogh. However, upon further inspection and research one realizes that the painting is perfectly done and could only be done so by a master artist. The painting is translated as “Man, heroic, and Sublime”. It is an example of Newman’s desire to create a sublime painting and it could be said that he was successful in doing so.

10. Winter, Fifth Avenue by Alfred Stieglitz

Winter - Fifth Avenue, Alfred Stieglitz (American, Hoboken, New Jersey 1864–1946 New York), Photogravure

This is a photograph of winter on 5th Avenue taken by Alfred Stieglitz in 1892. The picture gives us a glimpse into life at that time. We see a horse drawn carriage that is used to transport people at that time.  We are also able to see that it is still snowing and the streets are completely clear. I am also amazed to see how Stieglitz was able to take this picture during that time. I wonder how long it must have taken him to get this perfect shot. There is also a contrast between the closer carriage and the darker background that help give the picture a special vibe. It truly is a precious picture that helps us see how life may have been for people during that time.