Type I and Type II

While certain symptoms are exclusive to either type I or II diabetes, there are also symptoms that are frequently experienced in both types:

• Hyperglycemia
  • Hunger
  • Increased thirst
  • Frequent urination
  • Ketosis
  • Weight gain

Hyperglycemia is a term used for high blood sugar. When you are diabetic, the lack of insulin causes your blood sugar levels to rise. Many of the other shared symptoms of diabetes are caused by hyperglycemia.

Hunger and thirst are especially prevalent symptoms and are both caused by the elevated blood sugar. The increased concentration of blood sugar leads to a lower concentration of water, nutrients, and other fluids in the blood. This leads to the diabetic feeling hungry and thirsty more than they would be normally.

Increased hunger and thirst then lead to weight gain and frequent urination because the diabetic is taking in more food and water than is really necessary. Since the extra food can’t be broken down by insulin, it becomes stored as fat, leading to weight gain.

scale

via Tallahassee Grapevine

If you are experiencing some of these symptoms, you would have to undergo further testing to determine if you have type I or II diabetes. From there, you can assess your treatment options.

Previous | Next