Type I Diabetes

While type I can occur at any age, its onset is generally in childhood, which is why it used to be known as juvenile diabetes. When an individual has type I diabetes, it means that his or her body is not producing insulin. The beta cells of the pancreas do not work anymore, so people with type I diabetes need to take insulin shots in order to make use of the glucose they ingest in their food. Type II diabetes is much more common than type I, which only occurs in about 5% of people. Type I diabetes may present itself with symptoms similar to type II diabetes. If type I diabetes is left untreated, your blood sugar can rise to dangerous levels. This can lead to:

• Deep and rapid breathing
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting and an inability to keep food down
  • Fruity breath odor
  • Unexpected weight loss

These symptoms (which are mostly exclusive to type I) are some more extreme cases and should therefore be treated immediately by a medical professional. These extreme conditions occur when the blood sugar level is very high. The condition is called ketoacidosis. This is when the body cannot use glucose as an energy source because the body either has no insulin or not enough insulin. This causes the body to use fat for energy. Furthermore, the amount of ketones, which are the byproducts of fat breakdown, in the body increase.

Source: iStockPhoto

Source: iStockPhoto

Historically, people would not live long after being diagnosed with type I diabetes. These diabetics can now manage their symptoms through blood glucose control, exercise, insulin management, and nutrition. To learn more, please visit treatments.

Previous | Next