2) Frantzy Luzincourt

Flag of the Republic of Haiti

Frantzy is another freshman at CCNY. He is also a Macaulay Honors student.

Me: Hello Frantzy. Where does your family originate from?

Frantzy: My family is from Haiti.

Me: Cool, what kind of music do people in Haiti tend to enjoy?

Frantzy: In Haiti, a popular form of music is Kompa.

Me: Kompa? I don’t think I’ve heard any of it before. What elements and or instruments are used in it?

Frantzy: There’s piano, keys, heavy use of guitar (electric not acoustic) and heavy on drums.

Rhythm is a big part of Kompa. There is also call and response with the vocals, which bring up

the energy of the music.

Me: I love guitar and drums so I think I’d really love it. Where is this music usually played?

Frantzy: This style is always played at big events to get the crowds of people up and energized. This is especially played at Carnival, which is the biggest event of the year.

Me: On the topic of Haitian music, I’ve recently learned about Haitian Vodou. What is you and your family’s experience with it?

Frantzy: To be honest, with me, I don’t know much about Vodou. I know that it’s still practiced more in the countryside of Haiti. My parents are from the city area, so they don’t have much knowledge of it to share with me.

Me: It’s interesting how different regions have their own music traditions and culture. How has Haitian music culture affected your life and identity as an American living in the United States.

Frantzy: Well, Haitian music has helped me become fluent in Haitian Creole. This is beneficial as it helps me communicate and relate more to my family and their experiences. The music also helps me connect to my history and roots.

Me: What Haitian artists do you listen to or know of that allow you to maintain that connection to Haitian culture?

Frantzy: There are two on the top of my head. Sweet Mickey is one and Wyclef Jean is another.

Me: I know we talked a lot about Haitian music, so to change things up… do you know of and/or enjoy other types of Caribbean music?

Frantzy: Yeah, of course! I love Reggae, Soca, and Bachata, which each come from a different island in the Caribbean. Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Dominican Republic. They are part of my life in America as well, played a lot in social gatherings mostly to get people to dance.

Me: Haha, being Dominican, I can agree that bachata is great. Okay thank you so much for speaking on your Caribbean Identity through music.

With his Caribbean background and interests, Frantzy was part of making and producing the song “Stickin It”, out on SoundCloud, which has very heavy Caribbean influence. He can be seen pictured on the right.

Good link to Haitian Kompa music

http://basekompatv.com/music.html

https://m.soundcloud.com/dabens509/haitian-music-michel-martelly