Below I have interviewed a few people, each of Caribbean descent, where they give their take on how music is a part of the Caribbean identity. This sheds light on how music affects the identity of the Caribbean Diaspora.

1: Sage Raghoonanan and Kailey Singh

Flag of Trinidad and Tobago

Sage is a 19 year old freshman at CCNY

Me: Hey Sage. From where exactly in the Caribbean are you from?

Sage: Trinidad & Tobago. My parents are from mainland Trinidad to be exact.

Me: Oh interesting. What types of music are there in Trinidad? What is popular?

Sage: Some of the biggest and most popular types of music in Trinidad are Soca, Calypso, and steelpan.

Me: What do you prefer?

Sage: I personally prefer Soca, as it is more for the young people. It is played at big celebrations to get the people dancing and to have a good time.

Me: What about Steelpan and Calypso, do you enjoy those?

Sage: Yes, I like them as well. Calypso has meaningful lyrics and I love the bright welcoming tone of the steelpan. The differences between the different types of music in Trinidad is explained well in this link, I’d say: https://stefanwalcott.com/2017/02/27/what-is-the-difference-between-soca-and-calypso-anyway-check-these-5/

Me: Party dancing music is also a favorite of mine. How does this music impact your identity living in the United States?

Sage: I live in a neighborhood where my culture is a pretty big part of the lives of the people living there. I attend gatherings and family events where we always play Soca music and dance to it. It’s a tradition with us.

Me: What Trini artists do you listen to personally? How does it compare to your American music tastes?

Sage: For Trini music, I listen mostly to Marshal Montano. I like this duality that I have, how sometimes I can listen to American music and other times, I can jam to Trini music, and not have to choose one over the other. I accept both as big parts of my identity: which make me, me.

Me: Thank you Sage.

Kailey Singh is also a 19 year old freshman at CCNY, specifically in The Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education.

Me: Okay Kailey, can you share some of your experience and Caribbean background?

Kailey: Like Sage, I am also from Trinidad and Tobago. Although I am only Trini on one side of my family (the other half Guyanese), I heavily relate to what Sage is saying.

Me: So is it safe to assume that you have similar musical interests?

Kailey: Yeah. I also prefer Soca to Calypso. My favorite artist is Marshal Montano. I personally can’t survive without Soca music. It just speaks to so many themes of life, you know? There are songs about everything; being happy, being sad, not wanting to work, how we should be happy despite hardship, just songs about having fun, and so many more.

Me: Are there other reasons why you appreciate Trini and Caribbean music in general?

Kailey: I particularly find interesting that If you look into the history of Caribbean music, you’ll find that it used to be very political so it really did impact people back then too as it does now. An example is with the steelpan, how its history paints it as the music of the revolution. Big groups of people would play the steelpan together when going against the enemy in battle.

Me: How is your identity in the United States shaped by Caribbean music?

Kailey: Caribbean music allows me and those around me to understand my Indo-Caribbean culture. Some people see me and just assume that I’m Indian due to my appearance. Caribbean music allows me to perform and show that side of myself that is fully immersed in my culture. I can dance with the Caribbean dance teams in college, my previous high school, and in local neighborhoods where I reside in Queens. These are fun ways in which I can stay connected to who I am. My Caribbean (and even a lot of my non-Caribbean) friends and I also listen to artists such as Popcaan and Vybz Kartel from Jamaica. I wouldn’t be who I am today if it weren’t for Caribbean music and culture.

Me: Thank you Kailey for sharing! I now have new music to listen to from a culture that I haven’t known much about.

Machel Montano Soca Carnival Playlist

Citation

“What Is the Difference between Soca and Calypso Anyway? Check These 5….” Stefan Walcott. N.p., 28 Feb. 2017. Web. 18 May 2017.