“Return of the Native” by Amiri Baraka

I tried to find the poem online but for some reason it’s not popping up, so feel free to look in Poems of New York, pages 152-153, for the poem.

I absolutely love this poem. Amiri Baraka, a famous black poet of the 1960s, write this poem centered around Harlem, the hub of black life at the time. He imagines a life in a place like Harlem that’s meant only for black people and brings a sense of communal joy. He ironically describes Harlem as “vicious” and “violent” and “transforming,” yet somehow beautiful. He dreams that in this world Harlem sees only sunny skies, never rain, as a symbol of the warmth that fills that place. He imagines that they will have everything they need in this world, including love for themselves. There will be a sense of joy that they thrive among themselves and will be comforted by familiarity. In the poem, I feel like he skillfully juxtaposes this dream world to the reality of the 1960s.

This poem adds to what Harlem meant for so many Black Americans at that time – it stood as a vision of a better future. Living in The Towers near campus right now, I feel grateful to be in a community that meant so much to a people. However, standing in this present that this poem looks toward creates deep sorrow for what has happened to Harlem and this vision, especially amid the recent tragedies in America. It never fails to amaze me how art can open the door to social critique.

One thought on ““Return of the Native” by Amiri Baraka

1. Hi Sophia,
    Your points are spot on! I especially liked your comment about living in The Towers now and how that helps you appreciate the community more for all its merits. It’s one of the (many) reasons I envy those who live in The Towers! I definitely think I could appreciate Harlem more if I lived there.