Appreciation for the Underappreciated

During this month of thanks and giving, I would like to acknowledge a special group of people. This group does not solely reside in my personal social circle, but in the corners of every society. Embracing this label in all its sappiness, I would call this group the underappreciated—those unsung heroes who toil away or possess a resplendency that not everyone can see. Sometimes, we see such souls glimmer, but their reclusiveness creates a barrier that most do not have the energy, desire or virtue to overcome. I have met many people who are extraordinary, perhaps in manner, perhaps in intellect, or even ability. But they are quiet, refusing to stick their necks out in pride. I deeply respect such humility.

Many have experienced a kind of neglect that results from being underestimated. You may lack confidence, and so you are thrust into the category of “weak” or “mediocre.” Not everyone regards you as a force to be reckoned with, and I myself have felt that odd feeling on multiple occasions. However, luck is something that takes its time — coming in unexpectedly. I believe luck is most attracted to the underappreciated. They are the kind of people that make the greatest differences and reap the most significant rewards. These people sometimes soar beyond those who bask in their own abilities and behave as if they are immune to vanity, or rather, that they are entitled to it.

It is very difficult to strike a balance between humility and confidence without becoming too self-deprecating or arrogant. That is why I wanted to thank those who have not yet mastered how to teeter between the two. I am grateful for you and your quiet efforts. I urge people to recognize classmates, friends or even family members who may be a bit reserved. Maybe message an old acquaintance and show them that they are not forgotten. You may be surprised at the colors that burst from their seams.