“Welcome to New York” by Taylor Swift, released in 2014

This song is the opening track for Taylor Swift’s album, 1989, which introduced the world to a new and transformed Taylor Swift. After her experimentation with electronic pop elements in her album, “Red,” her sweet, country persona was all but gone with the release of this album. The title is essentially her way of welcoming her fans to her new sound. Analogous to her move from Nashville to New York City, 1989 portrays her new lifestyle in the city all in one album. It shows her transition from her country roots to the big city life.

“Like any great love, it keeps you guessing
Like any real love, it’s ever-changing
Like any true love, it drives you crazy
But you know you wouldn’t change anything, anything, anything”

This part of the song really emphasizes the movement and rhythm of the city. New York City is unpredictable and fast- paced. Sometimes, New York City can get so chaotic and out-of-control that it drives you crazy, metaphorically-speaking.  But the natural order of New York City is in fact its disorder.

I like this song because it is meaningful to the artist’s life story. Songs that are meaningful help connect the musician to the audience. Especially since I live in New York City, I can relate to what she says in the song. I also enjoy the beat of the song because you get the feeling of the speed, the rush, and the heartbeat of the city.