Joe Salvo Response-Anissa Daimally

Questions
1. Are the data in the census maps accurate?
2. Why is the Black population decreasing in New York City?

-I found it interesting to learn about the racial demographics of New York City and how it has changed over a period of ten years, from 2000 to 2010.
-Joe Salvo stated that New York City’s population is dynamic. People migrate out of the city while others move in. What this means is that many people come in for opportunities, achieve their goals and leave, and others come in and take their place, seizing the opportunities for a better life.
-I was shocked to hear that the Black population was moving out of Brooklyn and that more Jews are moving into the area. Joe Salvo stated that most of the Black population is moving to East New York and Canarsie.
-I believe if the trends continue, the racial compositions of the boroughs will change. For example, in the next several decades, Brooklyn may no longer be the home of the greatest black population in New York City.
-Joe Salvo opened my eyes to the fact that net migration is a good thing. I always believed that if people migrated out of the city, it meant that the area was not doing well. Salvo corrected my mistake in explaining that migration allows more people to come in, producing diversity. However, if the population does not work in a ‘cycle’, that is if people were only leaving, this would be disastrous.
-The data in the census maps are not accurate. People may not write down their correct ethnicity. For example, some Hispanics may identify themselves as black when asked their race by the census.