Sewing the Pieces Together

– I found it interesting that the Hispanic men did not feel as if working in the garment shops was a woman’s job.  This opinion stands in direct contrast to that of the Chinese men who prefer jobs in restaurants; these men dismiss the garment sector as work for women, and thus do not wish to take up jobs in the garment shops.  They view the work they do in the restaurants, which requires manual labor, as more in line with their masculinity.  This is interesting to note, as the women who work in the shops also testify to the less strenuous nature of work in the garment industry.  These perspectives reveal the two-sided nature of the Chinese men’s sentiments, as these feelings that are harbored by the men are reinforced by the women.  Perhaps these sentiments testify to deeply rooted cultural views that shaped these notions in the first place.

– The contrast in migration patterns between the Chinese and the Koreans further sheds light upon the cultural differences between these immigrant groups.  Whereas the Chinese generally migrate as a family unit, the Hispanics more often maintain transnational families; that is, the Hispanics do not generally migrate with their children.  This decision is most likely due to the fact that the Hispanics intend to return to their native countries after a certain time period.  These migrants use the money that they earn in the United States to establish a better life for themselves back home.

– I found the field notes included in Sewing Women extremely helpful, as they set the scene for me as the reader.  These notes gave the statistics previously mentioned in the beginning chapters a qualitative value, as I was then able to visualize the areas in question.

– How do the contrasts in migration patterns among the Chinese and Hispanic garment workers reveal cultural differences between the two groups?