Sewing Women: Anissa Daimally

-I was surprised to see how open the Koreans and the Chinese were in discriminating potential workers. Both groups did not want to hire African Americans or Puerto Ricans because they believe these races were lazy and would not want the job even if it was open to them. They only wanted to hire immigrants who don’t speak English because they are not aware of the standard wages they are supposed to receive and they have limited ability to complain to authorities. For example, a Puerto Rican woman pretended to have limited English-speaking skills when looking for work in the Korean garment shop. Once she revealed that she was from Puerto Rico, she did not receive the job. The Koreans are also discriminatory based on skin color. Even though they hire Ecuadorians, they do not hire black Ecuadorians because they associate them with African Americans.

-I previously wondered why the Chinese get lower pay than the Hispanic workers. The worker-sponsor relationships in Chinese garment shops lead to constraints that inhibit the Chinese from demanding hire wages. The new hires did not want to request hire wages because they feared that their sponsors’ would look bad to the owner. Furthermore, the supply of Chinese workers is greater than the demand in the garment shop, so wages are lower. For the Hispanics, the demand for skilled workers is greater than the supply in the Korean garment shops, so their wages are higher.

-I was intrigued that the Ecuadorian wages are appropriate while the Mexicans were willing to accept lower wages. This is because the Ecuadorians had a higher level of education and more job experience. Furthermore, the Mexicans are very marginalized. I feel that the Ecuadorians should inform the Mexicans that they should go to the Worker’s Center. However, in the long run, the Mexicans become more experienced and increase their wages.