This City is More Than Just Maps

I was actually quite excited to go to the Joe Salvo talk, perhaps that was because of the excitement exuding from the friend that I went with, but nevertheless I was not against going. There were a couple of things that I found to be interesting about his talk, despite or perhaps because of the fact that I was sitting in front of a group of girls who were only interested in making not only rude, but also borderline racist remarks throughout the entire event. Firstly, I found it very interesting that all five boroughs were included in the top ten cities in the US with the highest populations. I also found it very interesting that Brooklyn and Queens ranked higher than Manhattan. Coming from the suburbs, from an immigrant family, I always thought of Manhattan as the “real” New York City. I don’t even know what that means now that I live in Manhattan and have explored a little more of the different boroughs. However, I do think that a lot of people have the same mentality when it comes to NYC and the boroughs, so it was interesting to see that Brooklyn and Queens actually have more life – at least by numbers living. The second thing that I found interesting was actually being able to see how diverse this city is. Everyone knows that New York City, that the United States itself, is “the Melting Pot” of the World, but to see the numbers on a map – it was quite profound. Overall, Joe Salvo’s talk may not have been the most riveting but it was definitely full of interesting points and connects very well to this course.

One thought on “This City is More Than Just Maps

1. Quite interesting that you consider Manhattan to be the real NYC. My experience in that regard differed a little from yours, I grew up in Brooklyn and lived there for eight years. In elementary school, I learned that NYC was made up of 5 boroughs and I had always thought that all 5 had as good a claim to the title of “the City”….that was of course until I moved to Westchester. There I was quite disillusioned when I found out that most people consider only the island to be NYC. Just like you, I still don’t know what to say to that. As you said population-wise it would be silly to disregard Brooklyn and Queens. However it seems that Manhattan defies any sort of grouping or qualification.