“Moving On”- Chin Response

This article addressed the economic impact of September 11th on Chinatown, specifically how the garment industry played a part in the economic decline following the tragedy. I found it interesting just how integral the Chinese garment industry is to Chinatown both as a source of income and a source of the labor force. Because much of the area was closed down, or was under restriction for weeks or even months after the incident workers were unable to go to work, owners were unable to re-open their shops, and because orders could not be taken or delivered those few months out of business had a huge impact on the area. Not only did the loss in revenue from tourism cause Chinatown to suffer economically, but also the ensuing and lasting unemployment from the temporary failure of the Chinese garment industry put a strain on the recovery and well being of the people living in the area. I was surprised as to the numerical values of the amount of jobs and factories within Chinatown. Never had I pictured that such a small area could be so intrinsically important to so many people.

One thought on ““Moving On”- Chin Response