Putnam Article Response

-The Putnam article was very informative. I didn’t know that immigrant groups typically had higher fertility rates than native-born individuals. This is a very odd yet interesting set of data to keep. However, as a result, ethnic diversity in all countries will increase despite any decreases or halts in new immigration. This made me wonder if this is the case for all immigrant groups, if not which ones? Then, why is this the case, does it has to do with a particular cultural practice of a racial group?

-The section regarding the benefits of immigration beyond the enhancement of national cuisine and culture through diversity was also very telling. Before reading the article I would have never known that creativity in general seems to be enhanced by immigration and diversity. I knew that most creators of advanced technology were foreign born but not that their innovation alone had such a major effect nationwide. Who would have known that throughout history, immigrants have accounted for more than four times as many Nobel Laureates, National Academy of Science members, Academy Award film directors and winners of Kennedy Center awards in the performing arts as compared to Native-born Americans. Yet, in a sense, I know it is very believable due to the fact that people come to the US because of the vast opportunities available and wouldn’t simply be content to just say that they are American citizens.

-I also found it very interesting how a study reported in the article seems to suggest that the income of native-born Americans tend to increase if they live in an area more heavily populated with immigrants. With the way the government is so fast to deport illegal immigrants such a hypothesis seems farthest from the truth. This goes against the common misconception that immigrants in general drain the system.

-When I read the section regarding, “diversity, at least in the short run, seems to bring out the turtle in all of us,” I was reminded of the senior citizens from the article regarding the Chicago Heat wave. In the article the seniors were very detached and remained in their apartments out of fear for their possessions. Thus, I really appreciated how this article’s data correlated to actual accounts already read.

Ashley Haynes