Out of Many, One.

In E Pluribus Unum (which is Latin for “Out of many, one”), Robert D. Putnam gives two main theories/hypotheses for how diversity impacts a community. The first theory is called the contact theory, which provides the argument that “diversity fosters interethnic tolerance and social solidarity” (141). Essentially, what Putnam means is that people who are used to diversity will be more comfortable around those of other ethnicities to themselves, and the entire group will be more capable of working together well. The second theory is called the  conflict theory, which provides the argument that “diversity fosters out-group distrust and in-group solidarity” (142). This theory is exactly the opposite of the first, because it means that those who are used to diversity will begin to distrust those of other ethnicities and stay closer to those of the same ethnicity. Putnam disagrees with what that these two theories seem to have in common, that trusting one’s own group is negatively correlated to trusting any outsider group(s).

A question had concerning this reading was simply that I am curious as to all of the already discovered/studied benefits and hindrances that ethnic diversity has on groups of people both living with diversity and living without diversity. (I think this maybe worded rather horribly, but I hope one can understand my meaning).