Sewing Women Chapters 5-9

These chapters focus on the overall structure of the Korean and Chinese factories as well as the hiring practices and working conditions. The Chinese garment factories form a much tighter community since they only hire other Chinese workers. They have similar customs and values. While some of my classmates said that this exclusivity practiced by the Chinese factories is unfair, it made me wonder about how many other businesses hire people of their own ethnic background, espeicially buisnesses run by immigrants. It goes along the same lines as the same ethnic group all mving to one neighborhhod. Coming into a new country is daunting and immigrant workers want to hire other workers who they can trust and have similar values to them. Thus in a country where so much is foreign to you, wouldn’t you want to hire people who are motivated by similar factors to make money and become successful as you as well as build a community? I suspect that it is not only the Chinese whose only hire people from their same ethnic group.

Also, I was pretty surprised at the harsh treatment in the Korean factories. While the Koreans hire workers of other ethnic backgrounds such as Mexican and Ecuadorians, they are also much stricter. The Koreans do not take untrained workers and they only allow workers to do a certain part of the production, the worker does not even make the full garment. The fact that a version of the assembly line is still very prominently used was quite a wake up call for me. Back in the 1900s, one of the big complaints about the factories was the use of the assembly line, and it really hasn’t dissolved even today. Why haven’t people spoken up about the menial assembly line being used in these modern factories?