Response to “From Ellis Island to JFK”

1. Is “offensive foreign political ideology” that barred entrance to New York for immigrants in the early 20th century referring to only communism or were there more political ideologies people here were afraid of? Also, how could one tell that a prospective immigrant had those ideologies?

2. Who were the people that were “likely to become public charges” that were not allowed to come into New York? The book mentioned criminals and the mentally ill were not allowed in, and then said that those likely to become public charges were also prohibited from entering the US. Who were the people that were put into this category and how were they judged?

3. “Steamship lines no longer channel immigration into New York, yet the presence of large numbers of friends and relatives continues to attract immigrants to the city and the surrounding region. Once an immigrant community develops, it tends to expand as compatriots are on hand to offer newcomers a sense of security and the prospect of assistance.” I felt like this statement disagreed with the Putnam article, since Putnam emphasized how people got more isolated when they immigrated to a diverse place and even felt less connected to those of their own ethnicity. In this Foner book, immigration sounds like one is going to a country where they have lots friends and even though it is true for some people, I still doubt it is more friends than they at home. What I mean to emphasize is that I doubt most people feel like they are coming to a place where they have more friends than they had before, since this quote makes it sound like it is the amount of friends and relatives that attracts immigrants. I think the aforementioned jobs and strength of currency are really the driving forces in immigration, and if people happen to have friends in the US as well they are just lucky like that.