Moving On

“Moving On” focuses on the aftereffects of 9.11 on the garment workers in NYC.
One thing I found baffling was that although the factory workers already made a meager pay, they were paid even less after they had lost their jobs. This meant that the lifestyles that were already less than satisfying sharply decreased. I can’t imagine being put into such a situation, but I can however relate because when my parents got laid off from work when they first came here, our way of life declined significantly.

I also found it interesting that although the sharpest decline of factory work occurred after 9.11, factory work had been declining way before 9.11. Labor had been outsourced to other places and sweatshops contributed to a steady decline. However, I was just as shocked to realize that although the industry had been declining, “apparel is one of the two largest manufacturing industries in the city”. I was not surprised however, to see that even though Chinatown is such a small area, it is so densely populated and after 9.11 business had gone down drastically because most Chinese worked in that specific area in the factories established there.