Ellis Island to JFK (1)

This chapter brought to my attention some interesting facts that I had not known before.  I like how Foner focused deeply on the differences between the immigrants of the early and mid 1900s and todays immigrants.  By comparing the two I was able to fully recognize their differences and understand their journeys and reasons for coming to the United States of America.  The differences in the type of immigrant from the earlier times to those of the later, and modern times were surprising.  I knew that the immigrants from the 1900s came from different areas than those that are primarily coming today.  Recently a wide variety of culture groups have been arriving in the United States and especially New York, this includes Asians, particularly Chinese; Filipino, West Indians, Hispanics, Russians and many more.  During the 1900s more Europeans had come into the United States through Ellis Island, with much less requirements than are around for those immigrating to the United States today.  Today there are much more, and a greater variety of requirements for those looking to move into this country.  It is a long process and throughout this chapter it became evident that illegal immigrants today, generally, had higher job positions than legal documented immigrants.  Learning this surprised me, because I assumed that the legal immigrants would be those who held high positions in their native country and have the money to move to the United States.

Another interesting fact was chain immigration and the idea of people following lead.  From other readings, I have learned that immigrants would write to their families and tell them of all the amazing this of the New World.  It came as a new realization that those postcards would be seen by people who were not members of the family and perhaps people working in delivering the mail.  This effect of chain immigration is a reason for many of the happenings during the 1900s and even today regarding immigration.