Berger: The World in a City

What I found most interesting about this article, was the how through Ditmas Park seems to be a multicultural utopia, nothing is perfect.  At the end of the article Berger discusses how there are ethical tensions within the community, and this has unfortunately leaded to violent and disheartening events.  For example a Haitian woman claimed to be pummeled after buying plantains and peppers, houses have been burglarized and women being mugged.  It is interesting to see that even the most multicultural areas in New York City have histories of not accepting some people and turning to violence.  In some stores people of the community handed out leaflets telling people to ‘avoid shopping “with people who do not look like us.”’  It seems like this ideal utopia can not even have everybody getting along.

After a majority of these events in the 1990s the neighborhood began to change things around, and today everyone feels much more accepted.  It is good to see how people from everywhere can all live with each other, in such a way that their backgrounds no longer pose as a threat to anyone.  The variety adds to the characteristics of the neighborhood, and now people are moving to Ditmas Park in order to raise their kids in a multicultural environment.  Though I did not grow up in a neighborhood quite like Ditmas Park, my high school had a variety of ethnicities represented.  Seeing such a variety of ethnicities everyday I learned to accept everyone, I don’t think twice when I see someone hwo looks different from me, because nobody looks alike.  We are all so unique that it seems impossible to discriminate against certain groups, and I believe that this neighborhood has succeed in this aspect.