From Ellis Island to JFK – Chapter 5

In this chapter, Foner discusses inferior races. It’s interesting to see that Asian Americans tend to associate with “White” Americans rather than with the “minorities”, even though blacks and Latinos clearly outnumber the Asian population (162). The idea that “white skin” is beautiful is prevalent in Asian culture, and it might stem from the fact that the white skin of Caucasians is superior, as we discussed in class. I remember being scolded for getting too tan, thus making me more “black”, back during the summer by my mother. She would scold me occasionally and when my tan started to fade, she would always comment that I’m becoming more “white” and says that I look much better. When I visited China during the summer, almost everyone carried around an umbrella to shield themselves from the sun to avoid getting tan. It was kind of scary how everyone wanted to be pale-skinned. In Korea, there are various types of whitening creams that whitens skin. Plastic surgery is prevalent as well; numerous girls get plastic surgery to get double eye-lids and a sharper nose. These characteristics are common in “the descendants of a genetically pure and biologically superior “Nordic” race” (144). It really does seem like Asians are “almost white but not whites”, in terms of appearance.