From Ellis Island to JFK Chapter 4: Immigrant Women and Work

In this chapter, Foner focuses on comparing the immigrant women of the past, the Jews and Italians, with the immigrant women in today’s society. I was surprised to learn that women who were married in the past were compelled to stay home to take care of the children and to fulfill domestic responsibilities. In fact, “in American cultural environment, female labor was seen as a necessary evil to be tolerated only if a family was in difficult economic circumstances”(118). I remember when visiting the Lower East Side Tenement Museum, the mothers of the households had no occupations listed next to their names on the census. The tour guide explained that even if these women held jobs, it wouldn’t be listed because the norm of the society at that time was for married women to be housewives.

However, as times have changed, more women are entering the workforce. Men are also now expected to help inside the home, a responsibility that no man in the past would ever fulfill.

I found it ridiculous that some men pressured their wives to stay home because of their ego and belief of male superiority. They shouldn’t prevent their wives from working because every additional help towards the family income counts. In addition, I found it sad that some women had to reduce their incomes in order to satisfy their husband’s ego. Husbands should swallow their pride and allow their wives to hold a job and women should feel like they can make more money than their husbands. After all, in a marriage, both the wife and the husband are considered equals.

Furthermore, everyone in the household was expected to work to contribute towards the family income. Children even obtained false working papers when they did not finish their required education. I have family who were recent immigrants where each member of the family worked in order to support the entire family. My aunt and uncle work each day of the week while my two cousins work while going to college.

-Anissa Daimally