Response to Waters, Jimenez

I like that this article brings up the issue of all types of immigrants being discussed together when talking about them. Meaning, there are lots of different backgrounds the immigrants come from, as well as their different statuses in their home country, and all those differences mean that immigrants will not all have the same experiences when they arrive in the United States. Also, this is the first time I heard of the 1.5 generation – generation of immigrants who arrive before the age 13. It makes sense to have that as a term since children so young are likely to have a different immigrant experience than those who come to the US as adults and have to work right away instead of getting an American education.
It is surprising to me that third generation Mexicans show a decline in education comparing to their parents, especially since the children of immigrants showed an increase in levels of education. I would want to know more about this and see which factors influence the decline.
I am also surprised to hear that large number of immigrants now settle in the suburban areas, comparing to immigrants in the past. I wonder how the job market must have changed to start attracting immigrants to suburban areas.

It is curious that the longer people are in the US and the more their socioeconomic status increases, the more they move away from their ethnic group. That feels a bit unexpected because one might think people would grow to have stronger bonds with their own people during their immigrantion experience. Since people of the same ethnic group likely provided networking and support, one would think that the immigrants would stick to that group throughout their lives. It does makes sense though that children would move away from the ethnic group because if they grow up in the United States, they are more American than anything else.