How the Other Half Lives

After visiting the LES Tenement Museum, I found it very interesting to learn that such houses used to house those who were well-off. I suppose it makes sense, though, if you look at the rooms in the LES Tenement Museum and try to imagine them without the partitions. Before they tried to cram entire families into a single room, the entire building probably would have been nice for one family. Obviously, though, using these buildings as they began to do for the large pouring of immigrants was profitable and was one way to house them. I was disgusted to read about the owner who blamed the tenants for the conditions that the building ended up in, but to be honest it’s not that different from owners today. I thought that made it much worse, that you could connect what happened back then to nowadays and still see similarities in the worse ways. A lot of what Riis wrote about in the late 1800s, Foner talks about in one way or another (and connects to more modern conditions) and we saw and heard with our own eyes and ears when we visited the LES Tenement Museum. Because he was writing when a lot of it was happening, it’s interesting to see a slightly different point of view, without as much of the hindsight.