Foner Chapter 6: Transnational ties

In this chapter, Foner focuses on the transnational ties that past immigrants held and contemporary immigrants continue to hold today. Linda Basch defines transnationalism as the “processes by which immigrants ‘forge and sustain multi-standard social relations that link together their societies of origin and settlement” (Foner 169). Immigrants maintain the familial, economic, cultural and political connections with their home country.

I found it interesting that thousands of Dominicans actually flew back to their home country to vote in a presidential election. Furthermore, I was intrigued that those who actually lived in the United States could still run for office in the Dominican Republic. It is very thoughtful and heartwarming for the Dominican Republic government to say that it was okay if the Dominicans had to become citizens and that the country will still welcome them with open arms.

Technology has also made transnational connections easier for contemporary immigrants. For example, my family travels back to Guyana every couple of years to visit our family that still live there. Because of the inexpensive air fare, we are able to do this frequently. Furthermore, because of technology, we can easily find out what is going on with our family on a daily basis through telephones and Facebook. My family also keeps up with Guyana’s politics. My uncle always looks online at Guyanese news sites to keep up with what is going on in the country. He also buys newspapers that relate the Guyanese news.

-Anissa Daimally