Granovetter

Granovetter dicusses the strong and weak ties in the reading. He gives an example describing a situation in which because A spends a lot of time with B and spends a lot of time with C, B and C will eventually form ties (stronger ties will result if A and B, and A and C have strong ties). He starts that “if strong ties connect A to B and A to C, both C and B, bring similar to A, are probably similar to one another, increasing the likelihood of a friendship once they have met. This in particular stuck out to me because in my experience, that is true, but the “A” or the mutual friend is not present. I’ve met and became friends with people who knew my friends who I had “strong ties” with, even before I knew that they knew my friend. If B and C had somehow met without A being the mediator between the two, I believe that they would become friends even without A’s help, which is true in my case.

The idea with weak ties is understandable. However, I don’t see how it works. For me, I wouldn’t help someone get a job if I only see them rarely. I would rather give the job to someone I know better, because I know their work ethics and whatnot.