My Reaction to the Opera

Snapchat-20140925072750[1]

This was my first opera experience and as soon as I heard that it was going to be more than three hours long, my immediate reaction was: I don’t want to go. I had couple of experiences with plays and I did not like them. Therefore, I automatically assumed that opera is not going to be much different. In addition, I realized that our seats were all the way at the top, and being scared of heights, I thought I would not enjoy this opera.

First 20 minutes of the play was very slow. I do remember falling asleep couple of times. However, waking up to the sound of music was very calming and very peaceful, just like the professor said. It was a bother to pay attention to both the subtitles and the play simultaneously, however having a understanding of what is happening in the opera made me focus on the opera.

My favorite part of this opera was the humor. I never thought that I would laugh in an opera because I never thought it would be presented as a form of comedy.  I also loved the fact that the music never stopped. It played a great support in what was happening in the opera, such as building suspense. Overall, this experience was worth the time because I was able to encounter a form of art that I never saw.

3 thoughts on “My Reaction to the Opera

1. I love how you took a group selfie at the opera! I think you are the only one of the class to post a picture of yourself with classmates in your response to the performance.

I liked the humor of the story as well. Do you think that you will ever go back to the Metropolitan Opera to see another opera?

2. @Erica Loo
    It was fun experience! I have a feeling that I will not expect myself to find me in opera ever again in my life…. but I cannot tell anymore.

3. Thanks for liking my selfie! I would definitely go back to see another opera if I get the chance.