Fall for Dance Short Critique

I came to Fall for Dance thinking that the performances would be so fantastical and out of this world, but after the first two performances I was a little disappointed. I felt that they were classical and traditional in style, and the music had me nodding off a little. However, the last two performances were extremely captivating. I loved how much they played with the lighting in “AP15.” I could see how the dancers pushed their bodies to the limit, especially during the one part when one basically jumped over the other’s head. It takes so much skill and so much practice, and then so much composure to carry that out on stage. I also loved how some of the moves could still be playful and receive a bit of a laugh or a shock. It was really an enlivening dance. With the “Minus 16” dance, I enjoyed how informal it felt and how welcoming the dancers were towards the audience. It took me a while to even realize that the performance had begun. I honestly thought the man in front of the curtain was like one of those award show hosts that entertains the audience while the next performers get ready. But that inclusivity of the audience during the performance carried out through the end. During this performance, I realized how much voice contribute to dance. Dance performances can actually incorporate vocals alongside body movements; there’s no rule that says it can’t. That was something I’ve rarely seen if ever.

There was simply a feeling of good energy by the end of the night. I feel like that’s just something that dance evokes in people.