Six Characters in Search of an Author

My response to this play was very similar to Christopher Chong’s. I understood the overall plot, mainly thanks to the playbill’s summary, but I could not follow the smaller details of the play. This was mainly because it was difficult to keep up with the English subtitles, but even when I could read the subtitles, I was not able to watch the characters on stage. However, even though I could not understand the entire story, it was easy to see that this was an outstanding performance, as the actors and actresses were fantastic on the stage. This play likely would have been very enjoyable if you could read the subtitles and watch the play at the same time.

In regards to whether the ending was reality or fiction, I believe the ending and deaths of the two characters were fiction. This is because for the earlier parts of the play, the majority of the roles for the characters were in their scenes. However, even when they were not acting out a scene, they had the same personality throughout the entire play, which suggests they were not really acting, but rather were being themselves. Also, when the characters were going through a scene, they never had to do a second rehearsal because they always did it perfectly the first time.