Who Can Create Art?

I believe that the film Wasteland answers an important question that was brought up in class: “Who can actually create art?” Of course there is the stereotypical answer that anybody can create art. However, I believe that question can be refined to focus on the creation of influential and lasting art. I believe that the answer to that question comes down to artistic privilege. In other words, only those who are artistically skilled enough to incur change, cause disruption, or gain precedence (politically, socially or even economically) can create influential art. I believe that is the reason why certain pieces of public art are cherished over others. This is why childish graffiti is painted over by the city and why The Charging Bull is still standing. It is also why Vik Muniz’s art, portraying the catadores, became globally famous.

Muniz said something that stood out to me. He claimed that he reached a point in his career where he’d like to give back to his roots. The only way he knew how to do that was through his art. This statement depicts his great understanding of art and the artistic process. He realizes that he has the ability to cause social change via his own artwork. By depicting the catadores in an unconventional piece of art, portraying them via the same garbage that makes up their livelihoods, Muniz was able to make them known worldwide. Muniz himself commented on the extent of his artistic skill and privilege. He notes that he wants to focus on a modern twist on art, and break away from the contemporary, depicting his confidence in his skill.

2 thoughts on “Who Can Create Art?

1. I find your point very interesting but sort of dismissive of some forms of art. There’s no doubt that art takes a lot of passion, skill, and discipline. But some art, like graffiti, is simply not understood and is therefore looked down upon. It feels like art is too tied in with acceptance and acceptance usually lies with the more traditional forms of art. So it comes back to the point of who gets to say what art is allowed in public spaces.

2. Great points Sophia! Upon rereading my post I definitely got a vibe that I was dismissive of certain forms of art. However, that was not my intention at all. By “childish graffiti” I was referring to the artistic level of graffiti. By that statement I meant, there is a reason why some graffiti is admired, preserved and cherished by many people and why some graffiti is covered up. It comes down to the artistic privilege. The artist’s “passion, skill and discipline” is reflected in his or her artwork.