A Flashback to Petit (A Video-Game Story)

So, this past week, one of my favorite videogame franchises, Assassin’s Creed, released the newest installment in the series: Assassin’s Creed Unity. I was understandably excited and, as soon as I sat down to play it, my first instinct was to explore the absolutely breath-taking rendition of Paris that the game was set in. These were some of the best graphics I had ever seen ever! Ubisoft, the franchise’s developer, is known for constructing the settings as close to real life as possible, using the actual blueprints.

A rendition of Notre Dame in Assassin's Creed: Unity.

A rendition of Notre Dame in Assassin’s Creed: Unity.

Now, as anyone familiar with Assassin’s Creed will know, the game involves a lot of climbing, clambering and parkour. As I was traversing the rooftops of Paris, I spotted a particularly high cathedral; only when I had gotten to the top of one of its two towers, did I realize that this was none other than the great Notre Dame cathedral itself! This virtual rendition had taken almost close to two years to construct and was one of the most accurate models in the entire game! As my character sat atop the tower, another thought raced across my mind: these two towers was one of the places that Phillipe Petit, on his wire-walking adventures, had crossed. Although I have never visited Paris, this beautiful rendition of Notre Dame had given me an entirely new perspective on one of Petit’s walks; there was an intense sensation of wonder to the entire moment and led me to appreciate not just the amazing hard work that the designers of the game had put into creating such a historical structure, but of the history that was attached to this building that we, the players, were allowed to experience.

3 thoughts on “A Flashback to Petit (A Video-Game Story)

1. Love the Assassin’s Creed franchise as they do great on their realistic graphics.

I do wonder how accurate the design of the building for the game is as compared to the real thing though.

And congrats on getting your hands on the game! I heard its amazing.

2. Jin, thanks for the recommendation. I’ll definitely check it out whenever I get some free time. Tony, as far as I know, Notre Dame is one of the most accurate models in the game; one of the senior artists spent upwards of two years working on that one model. However, it is not accurate to that time period and more closely resembles the Notre Dame we know today. Ubisoft really did a fantastic job with the setting this time around.