Just Kids, Through Page 55

It takes a certain amount of courage to follow your dreams, whatever they may be. Becoming an artist, while a dream for many, is one of the most difficult dreams to follow, as it does not offer much financial security, and unless you make it big, you really don’t make it at all. I remember Kevin saying this book made him not want to be an artist, and while I certainly agree that this would be a very difficult lifestyle for anyone, this book also shows the positive of such a lifestyle. The first 55 pages of this book, while brief, showed the many pros and cons of being an artist. Those positives included an incredible level of freedom that many of will not enjoy in our lifetime, as Patti and Robert had an incredible amount of free time to themselves. They are also able to do what they enjoy for a living. I think in a way that is the ideal way to live, and that is why so many people try to follow such dreams even if they do not offer much in the way of financial security. Nevertheless, it takes a special amount of courage to pursue something more than the money.

One thought on “Just Kids, Through Page 55

1. In class I was joking however the book really does show the downsides of being an artists. They were never able to really live comfortably but in their freedom, you are right. I found it odd that Patti felt the most free when she was completely homeless with no job, as she was able to just roam the city whenever she had wanted. I find that this uses the word freedom loosely because if you are that poor you are not as free as someone that is in a position that has some wealth. The things a person can do with money for exceeds the things a person can do without any, and so I do not fully understand her feeling free in her condition. Of course, a person with some wealth is most likely dependent on their job and because of that their freedom is slightly restricted and their life more mundane whereas Patti’s life is just more spontaneous. I heavily agree with your closing remark, “It takes a special amount of courage to pursue something more than the money” and would just like to add to it. Whenever someone has a passion or a calling, despite the obstacles that may come, they will pursue it to their death or the realization of their dream.