Reaction to Just Kids (1-55)

Although the start of the book was quite slow for me, I can see what Ms. Drabik meant when she said that it would be hard to put down the book. The moment Patti got herself to New York, it instantly became an adventure that you really can’t stop reading.

My curiosity sparked when Patti met Saint as I really couldn’t understand how one can befriend a stranger so quickly. Then when she just re-named Bob to Robert, I was just confused how Robert/Bob accepted the name with no hesitation.

What really got my mind racing was how Patti just tossed away the waitress outfit that her mother gave her. It was a sign of hope from her mother, but Patti tossed it away. I can understand how it can be compared to flowers that have wilted, but like flowers, it can also be preserved and be kept.

I just can’t wait to read the rest of this!

One thought on “Reaction to Just Kids (1-55)

1. Hi Tony,
    It definitely was hard to put the book down. I agree that the action picks up when Patti makes the leap to New York, but I was actually really fascinated by her description of her childhood. It was clear that the arts played a big role in her life from very early on. I wonder if this is the case for most artists. Do they know that they are destined to be artists? Patti, in the opening chapter, states that she “hungered” to be an artist as a child, so it seems like she knew from the start. Is this what the general beginnings for artists are like? A hunger that grows until it is nourished by none other than intense devotion to the craft?