Art: NYC and Me

Hey guys! So the semester is approaching a close and we have to come up with and actually create a final project. I believe that it should be something that encompasses the three main themes expressed in the title of this course: “The Arts, The City, and Me.” Thus, I think we should create something that artistically depicts us and the city. It should be something that portrays both the physical and human beauty that makes NYC a city like no other.

To be more specific we should make a collage. I think that if we create a collage of pictures that form the shape of the island of Manhattan, we can satisfy all the criteria. These pictures should be, however, a picture of you in your favorite place in the city (and by city I do mean Manhattan). Including these pictures will perfectly combine that human and physical aspects that define NYC culture. Along with these, we can also include any necessary pictures form the Media section from this website. We can also include any newspaper articles and magazines pictures that are fitting (e.g. a New York Times headline, a New York magazine with flashy words such as “Broadway” or “Central Park”). We can even include cutouts from the dreaded subway map! Anything that has some aesthetic appeal can definitely be incorporated.

Finally, this has the potential to be a time consuming task, but I do think as Macaulay students we can avoid that. All we need to do is pick a day, where everybody comes prepared with their pictures and cutouts, to actually create the collage. Since it appears that last of our class days are busy, we may need to do this on our personal time.

Thanks for your consideration. I do hope we can accomplish this!

4 thoughts on “Art: NYC and Me

1. I feel like any other class would choose to do a collage (cuz we’re at college), and I do have distaste in doing something so common…. YET, I cannot think of a better proposal which would satisfy everyone in the class.

If someone volunteers his/her dorm for a period of a week and if anyone can just visit the dorm to paste the picture, would that work? (I’m just suggesting because it’s really difficult to find free day for everyone)

2. I was discussing the project with Manjekar Saturday morning and he suggested that since Prof Drabik loves poems so much (so do we! LOL), an alternative could be for each of us to write a poem about New York and create our own “Poems of New York”. I think both of these idea are very good. Takers?