Zero Tolerance: The World Today

The first exhibit my group had gone to had been Zero Tolerance at MoMa PS1.  Coming in with mixed expectations I had left quite pleased.  Due to the nature of the exhibit I was shocked that it had carried the same message that I am finding very prevalent today: governments imposing laws and doctrines that oppress their people.  Much of the exhibit were different documentaries showing major protests and public gatherings.  Even in America where we are promised freedom and complete autonomy over our own lives, we are met with unscrupulous businesses that collect and sell our information and a government that spies on its own people.  The exhibit had made me reflect on the novel “1984” by George Orwell in which the masses of people do not realize fully what the government is imposing upon them.  In summary of the exhibit (picture provided), it is stated that these governments mask draconian laws in the guise of some form of public service or help.

The exhibit displays heavily the public outcry against these governments.  There was one room, with T.V.s situated all around the walls with different public gatherings and if you stand in the center of the room, you can hear bits and pieces of everything, all of it creating an overall chaotic atmosphere.  Then the room after, focused heavily on Russia and the nation under a ex-KGB president.  There had been one song made by “Pussy Riot” that went against Putin’s declaration against secularism.  If you want to check out the song and music video just follow this link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPDkJbTQRCY . One of the strangest and most interesting things within the exhibit had been the work of  Voina in “Operation: Kiss Garbage.”  It had been a video depicting their work to demean and humiliate people of power.  In it, women would go up to policewomen and kiss them on the lips with absolutely no notice.  The public art, not only challenges the power of government but also goes against Putin’s views on homosexuality.

The exhibit overall had been great, and if you want to see more pictures of the exhibit just look below!

Moma2 Moma3 Moma4 Moma5 Moma6 Moma7 Moma8 Moma9 Moma10 Moma11 Moma12 Moma13

Moma1

2 thoughts on “Zero Tolerance: The World Today

1. This exhibits seems really interesting, especially with the connection I see between past and present in some of the pieces. Just curious, when were these pieces made?

2. Oh the exhibit was very interesting, I really recommend you going to see it. These pieces are from the late 19th century to the early 20th century. Most of the demonstration drawings that are presented are actually relatively new, only about 2 years old.