“Observation” by Dorothy Parker

Sorry to post another poem that may not be a great fit for class, but this is one I felt really fit well with most of us as college students:

“If I don’t drive around the park,

I’m pretty sure to make my mark.

If I’m in bed each night by ten,

I may get back my looks again,

If I abstain from fun and such,

I’ll probably amount to much,

But I shall stay the way I am,

Because I do not give a damn.”

I feel like this is something a lot of us have to go through now that we are in college. We received all those lessons on time management early in the year and this poem shows that for a lot of us, we know what we should do with our time, but we just do not care enough to do those things. Instead, we would rather stay up late (not me, I actually go to bed at 10) and have a good time. This certainly is not a bad thing, as whatever we have done has gotten us this far.

3 thoughts on ““Observation” by Dorothy Parker

1. This is definitely college students. But what I love the most about this point is that the speaker of the poem just accepts that that’s who they are.

2. This is a good poem for us to read since it is similar to the way many college students, like us, think. You should not have written out the whole poem because now their isn’t much a point to read it in class.

3. I find the lines, “If I abstain from fun and such, / I’ll probably amount to much,” very relatable because many of us (college students) know that we could get so much work done if we just log out of Facebook or turn off our phones while studying or doing homework and yet, we continue to procrastinate. But hey, what is life without any fun?

@anthonycacchione Haha, I am so jealous that you get to sleep at ten o’clock.