Privilege- Straight White Men Reactions

As Tony and Chloe have mentioned in their reactions to “Straight White Men”, the music as people entered the theatre is not what you would expect. I was laughing as we (Anthony, Lucius, and I) entered the theatre. The music was very pumped, very vulgar, and for me, it didn’t seem to fit the audience, which was predominantly old white folks, with some college students like us. A few people were very into the music though, bumping and enjoying it.

The performance starts of very comical, especially with the two younger brothers playing around, annoying each other. Yet at the end of the performance, it was very serious, and only the eldest brother was left on the stage, contemplating by himself. The main point that the play was trying to convey was how certain people have it very well in life, namely, men who are white and straight. The two younger brothers, Jake and Drew, were able to see this and use it, while Matt, the oldest one, can’t seem to accept it. The father and two younger brothers strive to help him, pay for his loans, give him mock interviews, yet he resists their attempt, and wants to earn his way in life by himself.

Young Jean Lee attempts to convey this message using certain topics that we often avoid talking about, and even titles the performance “Straight White Men”, which gives an emphasis on what she wants people to see from the play. If you haven’t seen the play, you really should go. The performance strives to be comical and hilarious, but it also brings up certain sensitive issues that our society often avoids.

P.S. For some reason the setting and feel of “Straight White Men” reminded me of the show “Three’s Company”.

~Christopher Chong

One thought on “Privilege- Straight White Men Reactions

1. Hi Chris,
    I really appreciate your insights on SWM, because I wanted to go see it, but it was sold out. That’s really interesting that Lee uses comedy to ease the audience into a darker subject matter. It sounds like it was done well, so I wish I could have seen it. I’m glad you guys enjoyed it!