“Straight White Men”

I was forewarned of the interesting music that would be playing as we entered the theater, but I was still surprised. I thought we were walking into some club or DJ performance, and it did feel out of place for a bit, but after 5 minutes Erica, Daniel and I were starting to enjoy the beat of the music until Daniel pointed out some of the lyrics and Erica started to translate them quite fluently, which was a huge surprise.

Throughout the play and even afterwards when the same music started to play, I understood why the music was playing. The play was addressing issues that everybody seems to be tiptoeing around in society, and just how the rap song made the audience feel uncomfortable, it was a foreshadowing of the actual play. Young Jean Lee aims to make certain crowds uncomfortable and tries to pull people out of their comfort zones by addressing issues that are taboo head on.

One thought on ““Straight White Men”

1. Hi Chloe,
    You’re so lucky that you got to see the play! I really wanted to see it, and even experience the ‘colorful’ entry music. That’s a really interesting explanation regarding the purpose of the music. If that’s what Lee intended, then it really is a testament to her talent as a screenwriter!
    In the end, tickets were sold out, so I couldn’t go see it. I hope they bring it back soon!