I was born in Hong Kong but my parents are from Fuzhou. I can speak Cantonese, Mandarin and a tiny bit of Fujianese. I can also read Chinese but can’t write in Chinese. My family moved to Montana when I was six years old. I lived there for about nine years then moved here to Brooklyn during the middle of Freshmen year.

Map with Montana

I have an older sister named Tan Lui and I love her. When I was little I asked her if we could get married so we will never ever separate. Her response was a grunt plus a disgusted look. A lot of people mistaken us for twins but she is three years older than me. I am more book smart while she has more common sense. She is more adventurous while I am a scardy cat. I really can’t imagine life without her.

Recently my pastimes are coloring, reading, and watching Youtube videos.

There is an adult coloring book, Secret Garden by Johanna Basford, that I like to carry around and color in when I have time. Since I can’t draw this is the most artistic thing I do.

I used to read all the time before I got a laptop. I won a bike in elementary school because I read a lot of books. This summer I decided to begin reading again. My favorite book at the moment is Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Alborn.

I like watching Youtube videos because they are short, but somehow I usually end up wasting a whole day watching them. Some of my favorite channels are the JKfilms/JKnews/JKparty, Buzzfeed, and Clothesencounters.

My goal for college is stepping out of my comfort zone, meeting more people, and expanding my horizon.