About me

Mitch Guido on Alto Sax, photography Patryk Perkowski

I am from Westchester, New York, and came to Queens College because of the opportunity to be in the Macaulay Honors College as well as to be in the Aaron Copland School of Music. Currently, I am pursuing a degree in music education with an instrumental concentration. Besides playing the alto, tenor, bari, and soprano saxophone, I play the piano, compose and arrange music, and draw.

For this project, I was in the group that researched “Parks in Corona”.

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Zachary Frenkel- The Man, The Legend, The Student

My name is Zachary Frenkel. I grew up in Brooklyn, but I have resided in Woodmere, Long Island, for the past seven years. When my professor told us that we were studying Corona, and that we’d have to pick a topic to research, Flushing Meadows-Corona Park was the first place on my mind. The park is one of the nicest places in the five boroughs, and being an avid skateboarder, any place with a skatepark is a place I’d like to be. Both the topic of my final research paper and my fieldwork for this website were based on Flushing Meadows-Corona Park. In other news, I also like fishing, so here is a photo of a bass I caught this summer…

Posted in Zachary Frenkel | Leave a comment

Yvette Deane

Being from Brooklyn, I was oblivious to the neighborhoods in Queens. Finding out about the diversity of Queens was mind blowing, especially Corona. In specific, I studied the religion of Corona. It was fascinating  to understand why certain ethnic groups migrated and left over the course of Corona history.

If you like what you saw on the website, you can thank me later =)

Posted in Yvette Deane | Leave a comment

Sylvia Zaki

Hi my name is Sylvia, as you can tell from the banner. I am an undergraduate student, working on this website with my class as part of a research project on Queens. I worked on the Restaurant Guide page under ‘The Food.’ I conducted the interview with the owners of the famous Lemon Ice King, Vinny and Mike. Also, thanks to an amazing shopping guide and the power of UMapper, I was able to create a restaurant guide of some of the great places in Corona. Enjoy!

Posted in Sylvia Zaki | Leave a comment

Rosemarie Dominguez

Hi! I’m Rosie Dominguez! I’m a freshman at Macaulay Honors College, and I hope you get to learn a lot about Corona, Queens through this site!  I worked on the “Educational Institutions” page under “The Places” of Corona.  I researched statistics of all of the schools, some background on the schools, and even how the schools are graded!  It’s pretty cool to be able to compare the schools to each other as well as be able to get an idea of education in Corona.  I also uploaded a handful of pictures to the “Picture Tour” that I took during my time in Corona.  Enjoy!

Posted in Rosemarie Dominguez | Leave a comment

Oriana Asano

Hi, my name’s Oriana and I hail from a tiny suburban community in Long Island. That having been said, this semester’s “Peopling of NYC” taught me a lot about Corona, Queens (a community that I previously did not know existed). I’m very enthusiastic to share my research with you and hope you enjoy learning about the jazz culture in Corona as much as I did. Specifically, I created all the visuals for the Jazz page (e.g. collages of artists) and the Louis Armstrong House Museum page.

Posted in Oriana Asano | Leave a comment

Nicki Kornbluth

Growing up in Bergenfield, NJ, I was pretty oblivious about Corona before this class. The Peopling of NY has been a learning experience, opening my eyes to the diverse neighborhood right near us. For this website, I worked on the park section. After researching some of the history behind the park, my group went to explore it for ourselves. We were able to get some great pictures and interviews, making our section of the site a lot more meaningful.

Posted in Nicki Kornbluth | Leave a comment

Natasha Chait

Well, hello there! My name is Natasha Chait and I am responsible for the foods of Corona page. I like frolicking on the beach, dancing to disco music and being creative. I am currently a freshman in college (although not that much longer) and am undecided about my major. I hope you enjoy my page. Peace. Love. Frolic.

Posted in Natasha Chait | Leave a comment

Mitch Guido

Posted in Mitch Guido | Leave a comment

Leah Khuk

Hi! My name is Leah Khukhashvili (Khuk for short). I worked on the history section of the Flushing Meadows-Corona Park tab. Go check it out –  like the park itself, it’s pretty awesome! (All the pictures on the park’s timeline were taken during my group’s excursion to Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, including the background photo, which I happen to think is especially pretty!)

Posted in Leah Khuk | Leave a comment