Foner Response-Anissa Daimally

Questions
1. There are four main groups of ethnicity according to Foner: Asian, White, Black and Hispanic. On many college applications, these are the only choices given to students to check off. What if you do not belong to any of these ethnicities? How does one define himself/herself?
2. Why is there a feud between African Americans and Hispanics? These two groups are competing for representation but is there another reason for the conflict?
3. Why is it that Los Angeles has more unskilled foreign workers than high-skilled foreign workers?

– The feud between African Americans and Hispanics seem to occur more in states in the Southwest and in Miami, Florida. Foner explains that these two groups are “in direct competition for representation on school boards and city councils and in other local arenas of power.” I feel that is wrong for some African American leaders to reject “the legitimacy of Latinos’ calls for affirmative action, arguing that it was created to redress the wrongs of slavery, not to benefit immigrants, and that Latinos are latecomers who did not engage in civil rights struggles.” Latinos did take part in the civil rights movement, such as the Chicano Movement. They fought for their civil rights, just as the African Americans did.
-Whenever I took state exams or filled out my college applications, I was asked to mark down my race/ethnicity. However, my race was not present on the forms. Because of this, I felt that my race did not matter. I feel that there should be more options for race and ethnicity.
-I found it interesting that Los Angeles has more unskilled foreign workers than high-skilled foreign workers. New York, however, has an equal ratio of unskilled foreign workers to high-skilled foreign workers.