Deconstructing NYC Immigration

– Joe Salvo’s talk about New York City immigration patterns centered upon data about migrating adults.  Is there any data/statistics regarding the children that migrate with their parents?  If so, how could this provide insight into the immersion experience?  If not, is the data presented skewed or incomplete?

– It was interesting to know that a large portion of Salvo’s talk hinged upon the diversity of New York; Salvo even pointed out that other cities, particularly Chicago and Los Angeles, are tacitly envious of the diversity that exists within the city.   I must admit the diversity in New York City is quite astounding.  Despite the fact that I am a native New Yorker – born and raised on Staten Island – I  became truly aware of the various rich cultures that the city contains after coming to Hunter.  My classmates in elementary school and high school were predominantly Irish and Italian, and I grew up in a neighborhood with the same demographic composition.  Salvo also highlighted the lack of diversity in Staten Island in his presentation.

– Further, Salvo pointed out that approximately eighty percent of Indian cab drivers in New York City held a college degree; this data suggests that immigrants from the subcontinent migrate at a later age, after they have completed their education.  It can thus be concluded that a large majority of Indian immigrants must therefore not come to America for educational purposes, as evidenced by the fact that they already hold a degree and do not continue in school here.  I personally know quite a few families to which this situation applies – I know someone who was a school principal back home, but took up a job driving taxis in America.  In these instances, earning money quickly seems to be the primary concern.