Adrian Horczak Introduction

My name is Adrian Horczak. My parents came to the United States of America from Poland. Then, fortunately, they gave birth to me! I can speak, read, and write in Polish, and I go to Poland during the summer sometimes to visit my extended family. This year, I also went to summer camp in Poland and it was great! I went to water parks, hiking trails, and dance parties, which were awesome. They played Polish music which was great for dancing. Here are some songs I like to listen to (the first one is my favorite):

I have always lived in New York City, and I like living here. There is so much to do in this city that I decided to stay in New York when I go to college, rather than going away. I also am comfortable riding the subways and buses everywhere because I can do work in a subway while I go to my destination. However, I suggest that no one writes in a bus because it will be very sloppy. I am majoring in civil engineering, so I feel happy by walking or riding the subway across a bridge in New York City. Where else do you see a boon of huge suspension bridges right next to each other? There are a lot of free activities I like to do in New York City. They include going to libraries, parades, sponsored events, and beaches. Also, if I go upstate, I can go hiking for free (in Europe you have to pay).

Although I enjoy spending time in the city, I enjoy country related sports, such as skiing, kayaking, and hiking. My favorite activity to do is alpine (downhill) skiing. I like to go on adventures and skiing helps me do just that. I like to go to different ski areas to enjoy the views from the mountains and get to know the unique terrain. I like to ski in glades (between trees) because there are nice views of nature and the terrain is often challenging. Although there are signs posted saying that I should not go alone, I go alone because no one in my family likes challenging terrain like me. I go on every trail, my brother and parents stick with the easy trails. In addition to challenging myself, I enjoy skiing down very quickly because I know that I am making myself move faster than the fastest man in the world. I feel so awesome. After skiing all day, I sleep well because my body exerted so much energy. Unfortunately, I am seldom able to explore every trail in a ski area because there is not enough snow, so I hope that there is a surfeit of snow this year. In addition to alpine skiing, soon I want to try Nordic (cross country) skiing, which is also free sometimes in upstate New York.

One of my less active hobbies is building a city out of Lego bricks. I have bought many Lego sets, and I have built a small city in my basement. I try to do what I can to make the most of my space, like building an underground (under the table, really) train station, and making my trains travel up to, and near the ceiling. However, I stopped expanding my city because I used up all of the space I could have in the basement.

I am attending college now to learn more about the world. Not only do I want to improve my math and science skills, but I also want to learn about other cultures by reading about them and studying abroad. I also want help to find a great job that I will be happy with. More than that, I want to gain more knowledge about New York City, and of course, make great friends.

4 thoughts on “Adrian Horczak Introduction

1. It was great to read your post, Adrian. Do you have a favorite bridge? I’ve always loved the Verrazano. And how about some pictures of Legopolis!

2. I think that all the bridges are equally as good. The Manhattan bridge has four sets of subway tracks and four lines use it on weekdays. The Brooklyn bridge is old, built with rock, and it has a nice pedestrian path in the middle. The RFK bridge is made up of three bridges, each looking different from the other. The Williamsburg bridge has high car capacity while having two sets of tracks for three subway lines during rush hour. The Verrazano-Narrows bridge is the longest in the United States and it is the only bridge that connects Staten Island to the rest of NYC. It is probably my favorite. Here is a video that my friend made of Legopolis (I’m not good with computers):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao2sDSUBRDs

3. It is a nice song, and it shows how paupers are mistreated. The poor man got the attention of a security guard that took away his $100, which he only tried to spend. The worst part is that the security guard just spent it on an unnecessary ring that he wanted. I do not know what he is saying, but it looks like he is trying to convey that many people do things in their own interest and do not care about others.