Discussion on Dawn

We have not discussed this poem in last week’s seminar, so I thought I might try to describe one to the best of my ability. Also, this poem matches the timing I am posting this at.

“Dawn” uses a gloomy tone to explain events and feelings of New Yorkers. People feel like there is no hope, paradise, or love in the mornings. They are very sleepy and feel like if they had an enormous struggle to wake up. The poem seems to ask the question: why would any one want to wake up?

It is very confusing and more gloomy than necessary. I have noticed that almost everyone in the subway was sleepy, but I believe that the city is pretty clean in the mornings. For example, the public bathrooms have been cleaned and no one has used them yet.

One thought on “Discussion on Dawn

1. Hi Adrian,
    I think the answer to the question you brought up is this: a new day offers another chance to strive for whatever it is you are seeking. I have to respectfully disagree that the poem is “more gloomy than necessary” as you put it. Rather, I think there’s great purpose in crafting this gloomy image – it highlights the strength of New Yorkers in carrying on. The darkness of the imagery serves as a contrast to the brilliance of the New Yorker’s spirit. I think it was a really effective use of imagery.