Our Guests

We have finished reading “Just Kids” and we can all definitely agree that being an artist opens so many doors to you.  It was a great experience reading the book and seeing how many people had influenced Patti Smith, but even greater an experience was meeting two real breathing artists.  Daniel Kelly and Tara Sabharwal were artists from very different fields in art, Daniel being a musician and Tara being a painter, however they both shared very active and high energy lifestyles.  The number of experiences both have had being of their passion is innumerable.  It’s one thing to read a book, but another to see and hear firsthand about the true life of an artist in modern day.

Does it make me want to become one? No but that is because I do not have that passion they both had said that you need to really make a living out of art.  I have also found reason more reason to pay more tribute to artists, as Daniel Kelly influences the lives of many of the locals he encounters on his travels.  In fact this class has introduced me to many great modern artists that have made me more appreciative of their work.  Although I did not very much enjoy some of Sabharwal’s actual, it was amazing to hear about all of the different places in the world she travelled to and how each area shaped her use of different supplies in drawing.

Another thing I had drawn from both artists was that once you delve into something, you realize how much more there is to learn.  Although I am going into a profession that is not in any way related to art, I can take this thought and apply it to my own academic and professional life.

One thought on “Our Guests

1. Hi Kevin,
    I think artists certainly do live exciting lives and have unique experiences from everyone else. In what other profession is there such pushback from society from the start? I think exposure to people’s criticism only makes you a stronger artist, because it informs your purpose and in what service you make your art for.
    I do agree that you need passion in order to make meaningful art or to survive as an artist. Tara and Daniel clearly had it, and that’s why their art is so appealing.