“The Cut-Outs” Reaction

Henri Matisse’s exhibit “The Cut-Outs” was mostly impressive to me because of its testament to the human spirit. In the exhibit, there was a short video featured that shows how Matisse designed his cutout pieces. Despite his age, illness, and other limitations, Matisse managed to design extravagant pieces and instruct a partner in physically putting it all together. The exhibit stuck with me because of Matisse’s sheer determination. Not only did he manage to work through any and all of his limitations, but he also progressed as an artist on an extravagant scale. By the late 50s, his pieces were spanning entire walls and, in a few cases, entire rooms. It left me seriously considering the extent to which artists go in order to create. I was always led to believe that there is a certain romanticism in sacrificing for your art. However, there is also a necessary determination that, despite all odds, you will pour yourself into your work. After this exhibit of Matisse’s final projects, I now believe that this determination is what separates mediocre art from true masterpieces.